Grid Reference: SO 813719
Stourport-on-Severn Station was located just to the north of the town which it served. The station was built in 1862 and from opening had two platforms and a passing loop. The main station buildings were on the town side of the line. There were extensive freight sidings on both sides of the line.
The station and line from Stourport Power Station to Bewdley closed from 5th January 1970. After closure the whole area was redeveloped for housing and no trace remains of the station.
The unwary might assume that the presence of such illustrious names as Trevithick and Brunel, both located off Great Western Way would indicate the site of the old station but this is not the case. The station was located on the opposite side of Minster Road between Macarthur Way and Longboat Lane. The railway crossed Minster Road on the level and this was the only method of crossing between platforms.
The easiest way to locate the course of the railway is to go down Longboat Lane to the end where a footpath leads to Mitton Bridge which is the former railway bridge over the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal.
From here the footpath is known as Leapgate Old Railway Line and continues for two miles to the A449 road near Hartlebury. There were railway sidings on both sides of the canal basin.
All photograph taken by Andrew Smith on 23rd November 2013.
Reference: Severn Valley Railway, Michael A. Vinns, Ian Allan Publishing, 1998, ISBN 0 7110 2599 1