Grid Reference: SO
The current station at Redditch is the fourth one to serve the town. The first one, in Clive Road, had a short life from the date of the opening of the line to Barnt Green on 9th September 1859 until closure in 1868 and was replaced by one that survived the age of steam until closure on 6th February 1972. The second station was situated on the other side of the road bridge.
There is plenty to interest the railway modeller in this lovely photograph of a three-car class 116 diesel multiple unit at the third Redditch Station on 7th April 1982. Nearest to the camera is No.50055 in BR Suburban Blue livery, the centre carriage wich is No.59019 in in primarly white livery whilst the trailing car is No.50860. Much of this scene has been wiped away since 1982 including the second platform to the right hand side of the class 116. It would seem highly likely that all of the motor cars have joined the class 116 in the scrayard. This station was demolished and a new one opened on the same site on 5th October 1993. Photograph taken by Robert Cooke.
Three-car class 323 electric multiple unit No.323213 entering the fourth Redditch Station and passing beneath the truncated bridge that can be seen in the background of the photograph (above) of the class 116. Photograph taken by Andrew Smith on 7th September 2006.
Photographed from the site of the second station, on the closed line from Redditch to Evesham and Ashchurch this photograph shows the bricked-up arch through which the line once ran and a pedestrian walkway that provides access to the station.