Railways in Worcestershire

Go to content

Main menu:

Year by Year
Worcestershire's Railways from 1945 to 1959

WORCESTERSHIRE'S RAILWAYS FROM 1945 TO 1959

(Covers the period from the end of World War 2 to 31st December 1959)

1947

In February 1947 Worcester’s allocation consisted of: 1408, 1418, 1919, 2001, 2007, 2016, 2037, 2051, 2100, 2101, 2115, 2205, 2207, 2237, 2241, 2242, 2247, 2263, 2275, 2275, 2277, 2278, 2290, 2294, 2339, 2458, 2551, 2743, 2799, 3021, 3027, 3029, 3030, 3048, 3382, 3393, 3440, 2574, 3607, 4007, 4051, 4086, 4092, 4100, 4114, 4139, 4504, 4546, 4558, 4596, 4613, 4614, 4629, 4641, 4664, 4980, 5017, 5063, 5092, 5112, 5114, 5173, 5544, 5815, 5816, 5914, 5917, 5983, 6306, 6324, 6378, 6382, 6385, 6396, 6807, 6851, 6877, 6916, 6921, 6930, 6936, 6938, 6947, 6950, 6951, 7005, 7301, 7308, 7416, 7750, 8106 (total - 91); diesel railcars: 5, 6, 7 14, 22, 27 and 31.

1950

Worcester’s allocation consists of: 1408, 1418, 1625, 2001, 2016, 2101, 2205, 2207, 2237, 2241, 2242, 2247, 2263, 2274, 2277, 2278, 2290, 2294, 2458 and 2551 (withdrawn by 3/1959), 2743, 3022, 3029, 3048, 3214, 3219, 3377, 3607, 3725, 4007, 4051, 4082, 4086, 4092, 4104, 4114, 4139, 4140, 4546*, 4596, 4613 (list not completed!)

1955

Worcester shed about 1955

This fascinating old black and white photograph is from the archives of the Malvern Industrial Archaeology Circle (and is published by courtesy of the Worcester Evening News who own the copyright). Brian Penney states that the photograph was taken during the ASLEF 1955 strike which lasted from 28th May until 14th June.

Some of the locomotives in the photograph are identifiable. These are as follows (from left to right):

Standing outside the 'boiler washout' or 'goods' shed:

First Row: Collett 2251 class 0-6-0 tender engine No.2203 (a visitor from Bristol); Standard 2-6-0 tender engine No.78008 (a Worcester engine from new in 1953 until transferred early in 1962).

Second Row: Collett 5700 class 0-6-0 pannier tank No.4625 (a Worcester engine until 1961); the next pannier tank is unidentified; finally on this line is another Standard 2-6-0 tender engine but also unidentified.

Third Row: Churchward 2800 class 2-8-0 tender engine (not identified); R.O.D. (Railway Operating Division) 2-8-0 tender engine (designed by Robinson of the G.C.R.) No.3040 (of Pontypool Road shed and withdrawn in the summer of 1956).

Sidings:

First Row: Collett 'Castle' class 4-6-0 tender engine No.7013 'Bristol Castle' (a visitor from Old Oak Common but later based at Worcester); Another 'Castle' class No.5081 'Lockheed-Hudson' (originally called 'Penrice Castle' but one of a group later named after famous World War Two airplanes) a Worcester engine from 1955 until 1960; Collett 5700 class 0-6-0 pannier tank No.7707 (a Worcester engine from June 1955); the next engine is instantly recognisable as the unique 1600 class pannier tank No.1661 with spark arresting chimney; then follows another 2251 class 0-6-0 tender engine, a modern 9400 class 0-6-0 pannier tank engine; at the end of the line are four more engines.

Second row: A 9400 class pannier tank engine; A 2251 class 0-6-0 tender engine; a 5700 class 0-6-0 pannier tank engine; a Collett 2-6-2 tank engine; a Standard 2-8-0 tender engine; two Churchward 4300 class 2-6-0 tender engines and one other engine.

Third row: Two Collett 5800 class 0-4-2 tank engines; a 9400 class pannier tank engine; a 5700 class pannier tank engine and five unidentified engines.

Standing outside the three road 'running' or 'passenger' shed:

First row: Collett 1400 class 0-4-2 tank engine No.1401 (of Gloucester shed and star of the Ealing Studios film 'The Titfield Thunderbolt'); two unidentified Collett 2-6-2 tank engines; a tender engine in the shed and another outside the other end of the shed.

Second Row: Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 tender locomotive No.43036 (a visitor from Saltley shed in Birmingham); a 4300 class 2-6-0 tender engine and a 9400 class pannier tank engine.

Third row: 'Castle' class 4-6-0 tender engine No.5086 'Viscount Horne' (from Shrewsbury shed) and another tender engine partly hidden inside the engine shed.

Many thanks to Stan Knight, a long time railwayman of the Great Western has provided the following information:

"It was normal at a weekend to bring the engines home for evaluation for either repair or service, or indeed just to top up ready for the Monday rush. The two men in the foreground are, on the left, George Francis, known as “Flannel”, who was a points oiler and his mate and lookout, Ash (surname unknown), who came from a family where all the boys were named after trees! "

1957

23rd April 1957. 'Castle' class locomotives No.7001 and 7027 on Royal Train at Worcester.

Nos.7001 & 7027 at Malvern Link in 1957

Nos.7001 'Sir James Milne' and 7027 'Thornbury Castle' at Malvern Link on 24th April 1957 with the empty stock of the Royal Train en-route to Hereford. Photograph taken by Gerald Wadley.

5th August 1957. 'Castle' class locomotive No.7005 renamed ‘Sir Edward Elgar’.

Gerald Wadley's notes start on 11th August 1957 (as this was a Sunday it might well be that this was the occasion of an Ian Allan Locospotters Club visit to the West Midlands) when he noted BR Standard class 8F 2-10-2 No.92104, local resident ex-LMSR Johnson 2F No.58167 and ex-LMSR Fowler Class 4F 0-6-0 No.44575 at Bournville. On the same day he records the start of the transition to diesel multiple units with Nos.79680, 79147 and 79667 at Aston shed in Birmingham. All of these cars (which were parts of two-car units) had been built at BR's Derby Works in 1956 and were based at Monument Lane Depot (not visited). Swindon built Inter-City car No.79090 was at Tyseley. Gerald also noted Nos.3667, 7430, 7441, 7447, 1459, 9630, 2840 and 7806 'Cockington Manor' at Stourbridge.

Birmingham Snow Hill

BR's Swindon built Inter-City diesel multiple units commenced working services between Birmingham, Honeybourne and Cardiff from 17th June 1957. The photograph (above) shows six of these cars at Birmingham Snow Hill. The photograph was taken by Douglas Clayton (copyright Industrial Railway Society). Sadly Douglas did not record the date that the photograph was taken but this is probably 1957 or 1958. These three-car units consisted of two Driving Motor Second Lavatory cars and one Trailer First Side-corridor with Lavatory (TFK)(Nos.79470 and 79473) or Trailer First Buffet Side-corridor with Lavatory (TFKRB)(Nos.79440 and 79441).

Gerald Wadley visited Cardiff on 14th August 1957 when he noted Nos.W79083, 79084, 79085, 79088, 79079, 79092, 79440, 79441 and 79472. Nos.79083 to 79090 (eight cars) had corridor ends (see photograph below), Nos.79091 to 79094 (four cars) had normal ends (as in the photograph above). There were a total of eighteen of these cars allocated to the Western Region which made up six three-car units. The formations were variable and it was normal to see them running as six-car sets as shown in the above photograph.

Note the luggage trolley alongside the leading car.

79xxx at Birmingham Snow Hill

This photograph was taken at Birmingham Snow Hill, probably on the same date as the one above (but at 13:50 whereas the other one was at 13:30) and depicts one of the driving cars with corridor connection (one of Nos.W79083 to 79090) with a class 116 diesel multiple unit at the platform. It is interesting to note that the class 116 driving car does not have the 'whisker' lines on the front which was not applied until later. Photograph taken by Douglas Clayton (copyright Industrial Railway Society).

29th September 1957. On this date Gerald Wadley (who lived in Malvern) made his first observation of a new (class 116) three-car suburban diesel multiple units at Malvern consisting of cars Nos.W50070, 59020 and 50112. The unit had been delivered to Tyseley Depot the previous month.

1958

On 1st January 1958 Worcester’s steam locomotive allocation consisted of: 1629,1661, 2206, 2247, 2267, 2277, 2296, 3204, 3205, 3209, 3213, 3214, 3216, 3217, 3218, 3605 3607, 3725, 3775, 4113, 4138, 4154, 4571, 4613, 4614, 4625, 4629, 4933, 4952, 5037, 5081, 5083, 5086, 5090, 5337, 5350, 5909, 5914, 5917, 5952, 5971, 5984, 5994, 6367, 6388, 6807, 6820, 6851, 6856, 6877, 6930, 6947, 6950, 6987, 7005, 7007, 7250, 7321, 7707, 7750, 7777, 7815, 7920, 7928, 8106, 8427, 8480, 8496, 8722, 8743, 8787, 8796, 9316, 9401, 9429, 9455, 9466, 9475, 9480, 9486; 75023, 75025, 78001, 78008, 78009, 82008, 82030, 82038, 90179 and 90485.

Class 120dmu at Birmingham Snow Hill

Dieselisation of the Cardiff, Worcester and Hereford to Birmingham Snow Hill passenger services with Swindon 3-car 'cross country' (later class 120) diesel multiple units started early in 1958. Gerald Wadley records these at Malvern from 2nd February 1958 and by the end of April they had become commonplace. Little is known about the photograph above as the photographer failed to record any details on the reverse side. It shows a three-car 'Cross-Country' diesel multiple unit approaching Birmingham Snow Hill from the Stourbridge direction. The destination blind on the leading car which is a Driving Motor Brake Composite (DBMC - one of Nos.W50696 to W50704) simply says “Special” giving no clue as to the originating station (photograph taken by Douglas Clayton, copyright Industrial Railway Society).

The new units replaced the original BR Swindon built Inter-City diesel multiple units on services from Birmingham Snow Hill to Cardiff via Honeybourne from 10th March 1958.

Also new to Worcestershire in 1958 were Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Works three-car diesel multiple units. Gerald Wadley noted Nos.M50476, M59184 and M50528 at Malvern on 8th June 1958.

Five 165hp diesel electric shunting locomotives were purchased from Ruston & Hornsby of Lincoln for British Railways for use at various Permanent Way Depots. One such depot was at Newland, near Malvern. The first of the five locomotives in the class, No.PWM650, arrived at Newland about 5th May 1958 (observed by Gerald Wadley at Worcester) and was serviced and fuelled at Worcester.

In 1958 Tyseley Depot received a small allocation of single-car railcars (later class 122). On 6th July 1958 Gerald Wadley noted Nos.W55001, W55003 and Driving Trailer second No.W56292 at Stourbridge (GW).

1958-9 timetable

By the start of the winter timetable in September 1958 the Western Region had become so confident in the reliability its Tyseley based suburban diesel multiple units that they were able to produce a timetable highlighting the suburban diesel services operating from Birmingham Snow Hill.

1959

Nos.55004, 55003 and 55006 at Stourbridge Junction

Although this is not a photograph that has not received sympathetic treatment from the photographic printers its inclusion here is justified by the historic interest therein. It shows three of the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Works single-car railcars (Nos.55004, 55003 and 55006)(later class 122) approaching Stourbridge Junction on the line from Stourbridge Town on 14th February 1959. (Photograph taken by Douglas Clayton, copyright Industrial Railway Society.)

Class 119 dmu at Birmingham Snow Hill

On 22nd May 1959 a Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co three-car 'Cross-country' (later class 119) diesel Multiple unit (car Nos.51063, 59422 & 51091) prepares to depart from Birmingham Snow Hill on a train to Cardiff Central Station.

A small batch of these three-car 'Cross-country' diesel multiple units was built in 1958 for the Western Region. They were allocated to Cardiff Canton and Bristol Depots. Gerald Wadley recorded Nos.51056, 59415 & 51084 at Malvern on 6th January 1959. They were soon in widespread use across the county.

In March 1959 Worcester’s steam locomotive allocation consisted of: 1629, 1661, 2206, 2209, 2243, 2247, 3205, 3213, 3214, 3216, 3217, 3218*, 3605**, 3607, 3725, 3775**, 4088, 4089, 4109, 4113***, 4124, 4142, 4152, 4154x, 4613, 4614, 4625, 4629, 4664, 4952, 5029, 5037, 5042, 5071, 5081, 5179, 5917, 5952, 5956, 5971, 5980, 5984, 5994, 6807, 6820, 6851, 6856, 6877, 6947, 6948, 6950, 6984, 7005, 7007, 7319, 7338, 7707, 7777, 7920, 7928, 8106, 8427, 8480, 8496, 8737. 9401, 9429, 9455, 9466, 9480, 9486, 75003, 75025, 78001, 78008, 78009, 82008, 82030, 82038.

* = transfer in date 1/1954; ** = transfer in date 3/1957; *** = transfer in date 11/1953; x = transfer in date 11/1953.

On 14th July 1959 Gerald Wadley noted new Ruston & Hornsby diesel shunter No.PWM651 at Newland.

On 7th September 1959 Norton Junction was renamed Norton Halt.

1st November 1959 Gerald Wadley noted the following on Worcester Shed: 1004, 1629, 1661, 2253, 3213, 3216, 3218, 3607, 3725, 3846, 4088, 4109, 4113, 4124, 4142, 4152, 4625, 4664, 4680, 5017, 6867, 5037, 5071, 5110, 5336, 5996, 6820, 6847, 6922, 6950, 6989, 6992, 7005, 7007, 7236, 7325, 7338, 7707, 7777, 7920, 8460, 8480, 8718, 9401, 9466, 9486, 43049, 48105, 73026, 73155, 75061, 78008, 78009 and 82008. Bromsgrove had: 5226, 8400, 8402, 8404, 8406, 8427, 8496, 43762, 47276, 47308, and 92231.

Back to content | Back to main menu