Malvern Wells Station (GWR) on the Worcester & Hereford Railway was opened on 1st February 1864 (replacing an earlier structure that was destroyed by fire on 19th January 1861) and closed on 3rd April 1965 along with the rest of the smaller stations on this line. There has been considerable pressure to reopen the station as the whole area has now been subject to considerable residential building but nothing has come of it.
One item that does survive is this impressive signal box:
This is the site of the station looking west from Peachfield Road bridge towards the signal box and the Malvern Hills with class 158 diesel multiple unit No.158955 waiting to return to Great Malvern to form the 14:51 First Great Western service to Weymouth. Beyond the signal box the line goes into a single track tunnel through the hills and emerges in Herefordshire. On the left hand side of the line, near to the signal box, was a large single track locomotive shed (where a banking locomotive was based) that most sources state was closed and demolished in 1922. It is probable that banking continued at Malvern Wells until the opening of the new tunnel in 1926. However the disused shed was still standing in the mid 1960s although it had gone by 1972. The exact date of demolition has not been ascertained but it is reasonable to think that it might have been removed about 1966 at the same time as the remains of the station.
On a sunny autumn day the late afternoon sun casts a long shadow off the signal in front of Network West Midlands livery class 150 3-car diesel multiple unit No.150015. The train is in the 'down' refuge loop which is used to stable stock from trains that terminate at Great Malvern.
The photographs above were taken by Andrew Smith on 1st November 2010.
This photograph which is the copyright of Robert Cooke shows the entrance to the two tunnels through the Malvern Hills. The to the right was built for the Worcester & Hereford Railway but later the GWR made a new bore which is still in use. During World War 2 the closed WHR tunnel was used for the storage of explosives.
On 4th June 2011 Compass Tours used West Coast Train Company's class 47 diesel locomotive No.47825 as motive power on 'The Pennine and North East Explorer' special train (No.2X54) from Hereford (depart 06:20) to Durham. Robert Cooke photographed it bursting though Peachfield Road bridge as class 170/5 two-car diesel multiple unit No.170507 passed with the 06.40 London Midland service from Worcester Shrub Hill to Hereford.