The Worcester City Saw Mills was owned by Robert Y. Ardagh who established the business at Henwick in Worcester.
The mills were subsequently relocated to a site near to the joint Midland and Great Western Station at Shrub Hill. The exact location has not been established As the name suggests the company were wholesale sawyers and timber merchants. One of their sidings ran into the mill itself so that goods could be loaded and unloaded under cover. The mills were equipped with circular saws, hand saws, planing, moulding, turning and compressing machinery mostly powered by steam.
Amongst the products offered by the business were railways scautlings (sic), planking, keys and the general wood requirements of railway companies, carriage and wagon companies and contractors and colliery companies.
The dates when the company carried on business are not known but in 1876 it was trading at Henwick with Joseph Smith as Manager.
REFERENCE: Kellys Directory; PO Directory