Railcars were a feature of many services in the Worcester area in the 1950s
By the time this photograph was taken in 1965 they had all been long withdrawn. This one survived in store at Worcester and is now preserved. The railcar is seen outside the shed that served as a temporary diesel depot. The two tenders appear to be from withdrawn 'Castle' class locomotives. Note the snow on the ground and the high ground (Railway Walk) in the background where all locomotive movements could be viewed. Photograph by Andrew Smith.
This photograph (by courtesy of Robert Dudley) shows the interior of W20W in September 1965. Notice the superb upholstery and the excellent overall visibility from the windows.
The name of the photographer of the rather grainy black and white photograph below is not known nor is there any information to indicate the date when the photograph was taken. What is clear is that the railcar is in Worcester Shrub Hill's station up platform presumably having arrived from either the Malvern or Kidderminster directions. Railcar W23W was built in 1940 and was one of the last to be withdrawn from service at the end of the Summer 1962 timetable. A correspondent to the "Railway Observer" noted W23W stored at Worcester on 7th July 1963.
Photograph from the collection of Andrew Smith.